This post contains WAEC and JAMB subject combination and other vital information you should know before applying to study Medical Laboratory Science in any Nigerian University.
Before we proceed, you do have to note that Medical Laboratory Science is a pure science subject and is not suitable for commercial or art students.
Furthermore, if you are planning on studying the course (Medical Laboratory Science) in any tertiary institution in Lagos, then including the Yoruba language as one of the O-level subject is very compulsory.
WAEC and JAMB subject Combination For Biomedical Technology: What Is Medical Laboratory Science All About?
Medical Laboratory Science is a medical branch of science that deals with all form of laboratory analysis and experiment.
In this course, you will be taught on how to use complex medical tools and equipment to study all sort and manner of body fluids present in the body.
However, with a good knowledge on body fluids, it will be on easy for treatment and diagnosis to be done whenever diseases arises.
In Nigeria, Medical Laboratory Science is taught under 7 different disciplines which are:
- Clinical Chemistry
- Medical Microbiology
What Are The WAEC Subject Combination For Medical Laboratory Science?
Inorder to stand a chance of getting admission in any University of Nigeria to study Medical Laboratory Science, it is required that you must have at least 5 credits on the relevant subjects that pertains to the course.
This rule does not only applies to WAEC but also to NECO and GCE.
Moreover, the compulsory subjects required in your O-level result are:
- English language
- A trade subject
What Is The JAMB Cut-off Score For Medical Laboratory Science?
The joint admission and matriculation board – JAMB, has a fixed Cut-off mark of 180 for Medical Laboratory Science.
However ,to be on the safe side, do well to aim for a JAMB Score of 200 and above for a more high admission possibility.
WAEC and JAMB Subject for Medical Laboratory Science: What Are The JAMB Subject Combination For Medical Laboratory Science?
Choosing the correct Jamb subject combination is a very vital factor as far as getting admission to study Medical Laboratory Science is concerned.
First and foremost, English should be chosen as it is the country’s (Nigeria) general language and means of communication.
Also, This should be followed by Biology as it is the very very founding core and pivotal subject of the course.
Finally, Physics and chemistry should be included to complete the quad JAMB subject requirement.
- English language
Are They Other Alternatives To Gain Admission And Study Medical Laboratory Science Without JAMB?
They are other ways of gaining secured admission to study Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria without writing JAMB. Other methods include:
What Are The Direct Entry requirements To Study Medical Laboratory Science?
If you are a direct entry candidate seeking to gain admission and study Medical Laboratory Science in any Nigerian university, you must Two ‘A’ level passes including one in chemistry, zoology, physics or biology.
Which University In Nigeria Can I Study Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria?
Here is the comprehensive list of universities that are running certified degree program in Medical Laboratory technology:
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Achievers University, Owo
- Babcock University,Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Madonna University, Okija
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
How Many Years Am I expected To Study Medical Laboratory Science?
Normally, if you are using jamb post UTME method to secure admission to study the course, it will take you 5-years to finish up.
For breakdown analysis: Medical Laboratory Science is normally a 5 years course that is: 1-year internship/housemanship and 1-year NYSC.
The deficit is reduced to 4 years if you are using direct entry method for admission.
However, due to academic reason, you can study the course up to 6-years or more depending on the magnitude of your carry-over courses.
Are There Any Special Consideration?
Yes there are. Here are some of the special consideration you should know:
- Some universities do accept an O-level result with D7 or E8 even if it is on a compulsory subject (instead of credit)
- Moreso, some tertiary institution accept two sittings in O-level result.
WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Medical Laboratory Science: Conclusion
Medical Laboratory Science is a very exciting career with large future prospects.
However to succeed in this course of study, you must be well equipped with enough lab-based medical knowledge.
This is because Medical Laboratory Science is simply a course that deals mainly with the application of Laboratory methods and diagnosis procedure to prefer solution to health issues.
If you find this post informative, kindly share it to that your friend that might need it.
Also, if you think any information given above is not accurate, feel free to let us know in the comment box.
- The 30 Richest Models in the World (2021)
- The 25 Greatest White Rappers in the World (2021)
- Eminem Net Worth
- Rupert Murdoch Net Worth
- JAMB 2021/2022 Registration Form: Starting & Closing Date (Guidelines)
- The 10 Best Investment Apps for Kids
- Winona Ryder Net Worth
- Tom Cruise Net Worth & Biography
- Tom Hanks Net Worth & Biography
- Neymar Net worth and Biography (2021)