For a perfect preparation to study radiography in any tertiary institution, one must at first obtain the official WAEC and JAMB subject combination. To this effect, we’ve gleaned out for Radiography aspirants the various combinations and possible requirements necessary to study the course.
What Is Radiography?
The term “Radiography” is a collective term for all imaging techniques involving the use of x-rays, gamma rays, and other similar forms of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation to view the internal structure of an object or body.
Radiography is divided into two major branches — Medical Radiography and Industrial Radiography. This article centres on Medical Radiography (hitherto referred to as “Radiography“) as Industrial Radiography is not offered as an undergraduate course of study in Nigerian Universities.
Medical Radiography is subdivided into “Diagnostic Radiography” and “Therapeutic Radiography“.
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Radiography — Career Prospects in Radiography
Radiography is a fast-growing and rewarding career with tremendous employment prospects within the healthcare system.
As a career, it has high prospects as it is an indispensable arm of modern medical science and the pivot of modern medical diagnosis.
Consequentially, the profession has been dubbed “the eye of modern medicine“.
The various career paths available under Radiography are:
- Assistant Radiographers — These are Radiographers that have completed their university education in Radiography but for one reason or the other are not registered with the professional body responsible for the regulation of Radiography practice and education in the country they work in. They work under the supervision of a registered Radiographer or Radiologist.
- Radiographers — These are professionals registered with the relevant regulatory body in the country they practice in. They are subdivided into:
- Diagnostic Radiographers: They work in areas that deals with x-ray, ultrasound, fluoroscopy, computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), angiography, mammography, bone densitometry and nuclear medicine. Moreover, Medical Doctors rely on precise diagnostic tests run by Diagnostic Radiographers for accurate patient diagnosis.
- Therapeutic Radiographers: Therapeutic Radiographers are responsible for planning and delivering accurate radio-therapeutic treatments to patients using a variety of modern technical equipment and techniques.
- Consultant/Academic Radiographers — These are advanced practitioners with expert clinical experience. They offer:
- Professional leadership and consultancy
- Education, training and development, and
- Research and evaluation
The requirement for advanced practice is full Masters/PhD level education.
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Radiography — Why Should I Study Radiography?
- Employment Opportunities: In Nigeria, employment opportunities abound for Radiographers as the demand in healthcare and health education institutions is greater than the supply. This is evident in the relative few number of universities offering the course in Nigeria.
- Salary and Renumeration: Presently in Nigeria, the average Radiographer earns between ₦120,000 – ₦140,000 monthly. The above figure justifies the profession to be described as “lucrative”.
- Job Security: As stated earlier, Radiography is the “eye of modern medicine“. When coupled with the fact that demand for qualified Radiographers supercedes supply, the implication is that in the event of a massive layoff of workers in the healthcare sector, Radiographers are likely to be unaffected.
- Future Career Options: Radiographers have the option of advancing their careers into Therapeutic Radiography and/or Consultancy/Academic practice from Diagnostic Radiography which is often regarded as general practice in Radiography.
WAEC Subject Combination for Radiography
To be considered for admission into Radiography in any Nigerian university offering the course, it is mandatory that the candidate possess a minimum of credits in the following SSCE(O’level) subjects:
- English Language
- General Mathematics
This can be in a single sitting WASSCE, GCE or NECO, or double sittings as combined results are accepted for admission into the course.
List of Universities that Offer Radiography in Nigeria
Below is a comprehensive list of Nigerian universities that run accredited degree programs in Radiography.
- Ahmadu Hello University, Zaria
- Bayern University, Kano
- University of Benin, Benin
- The University of Calabar, Calabar
- University of Lagos, Lagos
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
- Peter and Mary Odili University, Port Harcourt
- Usman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
- Nandi Azikiwe University, Awka
- University of Nigeria, Nssuka
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Gregory University, Uturu
Note: 12 and 13 offer the course as “Radiography and Radiation Science”
JAMB Subject Combination for Radiography
Having the right JAMB subject combination is critical for admission into Nigerian universities as having a wrong JAMB UTME subject combination is capable of ruining a candidate’s chances of admission for a particular course even with an exceptionally high JAMB UTME score.
In a nutshell, the correct JAMB UTME subject combination for Radiography is
- Use of English
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Radiography — Summary
Radiography is a lucrative and fast-evolving profession regulated by “Association of Radiographers in Nigeria (ARN)” in Nigeria.
To study Radiography in Nigeria, you need minimum of credit passes in SSCE in English Language, General Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
It is also pertinent to remember that the correct JAMB subject combination required for admission is — Use of English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Choosing the right Subject combination both in WAEC and JAMB is very vital as far as landing that admission is concerned.
As it’s stands, the chances of gaining admission to study Radiography in any of the listed Nigerian institution is getting more competitive. This post entails what should be done to edge-out and land that dream admission. Learn how to become a nurse in Canada.
- The 30 Richest Models in the World (2021)
- The 25 Greatest White Rappers in the World (2021)
- Eminem Net Worth
- Rupert Murdoch Net Worth
- JAMB 2021/2022 Registration Form: Starting & Closing Date (Guidelines)
- The 10 Best Investment Apps for Kids
- Winona Ryder Net Worth
- Tom Cruise Net Worth & Biography
- Tom Hanks Net Worth & Biography
- Neymar Net worth and Biography (2021)