To get admission into any tertiary institution inorder to study pharmacy, one needs to know the WAEC and JAMB subject combination for pharmacology.
In this post, we have in details, exposed what the course is all about.
What is Pharmacy?
Pharmacy is the practice/profession concerned with the preparation and dispensing of medical drugs, effective and safe use of drugs, and the regulation of drugs.
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Pharmacology: Career Prospects in Pharmacy
Pharmacy is a very lucrative career that is continuously evolving. It is regulated in Nigeria by the “Pharmacy Council of Nigeria (PCN)”.
Being a pharmacist offers exciting prospects as pharmacists provide doctors,nurses, other healthcare workers, patients and the general public with accurate drug information. Hence, the importance of the role of pharmacists in medicine and healthcare can never be overemphasized.
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Pharmacology: Career Paths
The following are the career pathways available to a pharmacist:
- Hospital Pharmacy — Doctors, nurses and patients depend on hospital pharmacists for important and accurate drug prescription. They work in collaboration with doctors and nurses to ensure that each patient receives the right medication, in the right dosage and at the right time. They also keep records on patients in placing orders for drugs and screening for drug allergies.
- Community Pharmacy — Community pharmacists are responsible for the provision of pharmaceutical services to a specific community. They work in community pharmacies (commercial drug stores) where they make available to the public drugs and other medicinal goods for purchase over-the-counter with or without a prescription.
- Pharmaceutical Research and Development — Pharmacists who go into pharmaceutical R&D use their scientific knowledge to help develop new drugs, create new dosage forms, and evaluate existing drugs.
- Academic Pharmacy — Academic pharmacists are saddled with the responsibility of training future pharmacists and conducting research.
- Administrative and Regulatory Pharmacy — Pharmacists are also employed by government agencies and parastatals such as Federal/State Ministries of Health, PCN, NAFDAC, NDLEA, etc. Here they play vital administrative and regulatory roles.
- Consultant Pharmacy — Consultant Pharmacists are the most advanced in the practice. They provide professional leadership and consultancy for other pharmacists all in a bid to drive the profession forward. They also provide expert advice to the government and the public as well as conduct relevant research.
Salary Scale For Pharmacologist
Globally, the average annual salary for a pharmacist as stated by Forbes is $116,700.
Moreso, the amount earned monthly by a pharmacist working in Nigeria depends on where he/she works and his/her level of experience.
Here is a simple breakdown of the salary structure:
- Entry-level Pharmacists (0 – 2 years working experience) – earn between ₦100,000 and ₦200,000.
- Mid-level Pharmacists ( 3 – 5 years working experience) – earn between ₦250,000 and ₦400,000.
- Experienced ( more than 5 years working experience) earn between ₦450,000 and ₦800,000.
WAEC Subject Combination for Pharmacy
To be considered for admission into Pharmacy in any Nigerian university offering the course, JAMB mandates that the candidate possess a minimum of credits in the following SSCE(O’level) subjects:
- English Language
- General Mathematics
This could be in a single sitting or two sittings as most Nigerian universities offering pharmacy accept combined results (two sittings) for admission into the course.
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Pharmacology: List of Universities that Offer Pharmacy in Nigeria
Below is a comprehensive list of Nigerian universities that run accredited degree programs in pharmacy.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ania State University, Uturu
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin, Benin
- Bingham University, Karu
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Tudun Wada Gombe
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Igbinedion University, Okada
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin
- University of Jos, Jos
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- University of Lagos, Lagos
- Madonna University, Elele
- University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt
- Usman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- University of Uyo, Uyo.
JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Pharmacy
To gain admission into any Nigerian university, it is very important that the candidate has the correct UTME subject combination for the course he applied for as wrong subject combination can lead to the candidate not being considered for admission.
As stated by JAMB, the correct UTME subject combination for Pharmacy is —
- Use of English
That was it on the WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Pharmacy.
However, you do need to know that before applying for the course, you must go through the preferred institution website and check out their admission policy and requirements.
Please like and comment if you find this post helpful and share to others you think it might be of help to.
- The 30 Richest Models in the World (2021)
- The 25 Greatest White Rappers in the World (2021)
- Eminem Net Worth
- Rupert Murdoch Net Worth
- JAMB 2021/2022 Registration Form: Starting & Closing Date (Guidelines)
- The 10 Best Investment Apps for Kids
- Winona Ryder Net Worth
- Tom Cruise Net Worth & Biography
- Tom Hanks Net Worth & Biography
- Neymar Net worth and Biography (2021)