Inorder to become a professional in biochemistry, one must need to know the required WAEC (O-level) and JAMB subject which is necessary when seeking for admission in the course at any accredited University in Nigeria.
In this vain, we have compiled the necessary required information that will help you in your career pursuit.
What Is Biochemistry?
Biochemistry is the branch of science that utilizes the knowledge in Chemistry and Biology to study the chemical processes, reaction, and mechanism in living organism.
In short, it is a lab-based course of study that deals intensively on how the human body is connected to chemical processes and to how these processes can be monitored and control for a good general well-being.
Ultimately, Biochemist mainly study’s components like lipids, organelles and protein.
Moreover, they also deal with cells and the communication they have with each other – which may arise due to a biological process.
WAEC and JAMB Subject for Biochemistry: What Range Of Other Disciplines Does Biochemistry Cuts Across?
Biochemistry Cuts across various fields and sectors of science – especially biological science.
It acts like a mother by studying the chemical composition of parts in the human system and analysing it’s effects to the current state and functionality of the body.
The major areas that Biochemistry cuts across are:
- Plant Science
What Are The Career Prospects In Biochemistry?
Biochemistry is one of the most engaging segment of biological science. Since it’s integrate biology and chemistry to understanding the human system, it has a host of options that will suit with almost any medical field of specialization. The areas and field you are employable and usable as far as this course is concerned are but not limited to: Academic Researcher
Clinical Research Associate
Clinical Research, Biochemistry
Health And Safety Inspector
Medical Science Liaison
WAEC and JAMB Subject for Biochemistry: What Are The WAEC Subject Combination For Biochemistry In Nigeria?
In Nigeria, the education law demands that any candidate or student that wants to study Biochemistry must have at least 5 credits on his/her subject combination required by the University of enrollment. This applies to O-level candidates that has their WAEC, NECO, and GCE statement of result.
The required O-level subject combination for Biochemistry in Nigeria are:
- English Language
- Any trade subject (Commerce, Marketing e.t.c)
In all the educational institutes in Lagos, Choosing Yoruba is Compulsory for gaining admission to study Biochemistry.
Before choosing any University as your choice for biochemistry, always check the WAEC admission requirements needed by that Institute via their site.
This is because some Universities in Nigeria do accept D3 – E8 results in some subjects, even if it is on the ones that are directly related to biochemistry.
So, like I said, always check the university WAEC criteria before applying.
WAEC and JAMB Subject for Biochemistry: What Is The JAMB Cut-off Score For Biochemistry?
The joint admission and matriculation board – JAMB, has a fixed Cut-off mark of 180 for Biochemistry. This is true but reality has it that to be on the safe side, a JAMB Score of over 200 has to be reached for a more high admission possibility.
However, if you don’t meet up the Cut-off mark of 180, you can opt for a polytechnic or college of education.
WAEC and JAMB Subject for Biochemistry: What Are The JAMB Subject Combination For Radiography?
Choosing the correct Jamb subject combination is a very vital factor as far as getting admission to study biochemistry is concerned.
First and foremost, English should be chosen as it is the country’s (Nigeria) general language and means of communication.
Also, This should be followed by Biology and Chemistry as they are very founding core subjects of the course.
Finally, you get to choose between Physics and Mathematics to complete the quad subject requirements.
Are They Other Alternatives To Gain Admission And Study Biochemistry Without Jamb?
They are other ways of gaining secured admission to study Biochemistry without writing JAMB. They are:
WAEC and JAMB Subject for Biochemistry: What Are The Direct Entry requirements To Study Biochemistry?
Actually, to study this course through any A-level route, you must have Two ‘A’ level results passes which should be from Chemistry, Mathematics Physics and Biology.
Candidates with a good NCE or ND or HND statement of results in any biochemistry related field can apply but this must be done with the appropriate UTME requirements.
Which University In Nigeria Can I Study Biochemistry in Nigeria?
List Of Federal Universities In Nigeria That Offers Biochemistry:
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Bayero University, Kano
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
List Of State Universities In Nigeria That Offers Biochemistry:
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Ekiti State University
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Sokoto State University
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Ekiti State University
- Kpwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Edo University Iyamo
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
List Of Private Universities In Nigeria That Offers Biochemistry:
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Rema
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Chrisland University
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Veritas University, Abuja,
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
How Many Years Am I expected To Study Biochemistry?
In Nigeria, biochemistry lasts for 4 years – that is if you used JAMB UTME method to gain admission. The deficit is reduced to 3 years if you are using a direct entry method.
Consequently, the years can be extended (Say 3 years+) to as much as possible depending on the magnitude of your carryover’s Credit Load while at school.
Where can I work with a Degree in Biochemistry?
They are a host of institutes that requires the services of a professional Biochemist. They are but not limited to the following areas –
- Agricultural food institutes
- Cosmetic Companies
- Drug Discovery and Development
- Educational Institutes
- Food Product Regulation
- Forensic Crime Research
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Hospital Laboratories
Like I earlier said, Biochemistry is one of the most engaging and interesting course in the field of medical sciences. It’s serves as one of the health surveillance course in Nigeria as it’s study’s and analyse the human system, equating it’s biological and chemical process to resulting ailments that may arise due to irregularities.
They further conduct test to produce long lasting solution to these problems.
This is all you need to know before embarking on studying biochemistry.
If you think this post might be useful to someone, don’t forget to use the share button.
- The 30 Richest Models in the World (2021)
- The 25 Greatest White Rappers in the World (2021)
- Eminem Net Worth
- Rupert Murdoch Net Worth
- JAMB 2021/2022 Registration Form: Starting & Closing Date (Guidelines)
- The 10 Best Investment Apps for Kids
- Winona Ryder Net Worth
- Tom Cruise Net Worth & Biography
- Tom Hanks Net Worth & Biography
- Neymar Net worth and Biography (2021)